Tuesday 21 May 2019

More tales of Stalking, Roe this time

I have been busy since the Muntjac stalk. Busy developing a 150 grain load. Sadly due to a lack of suitable powders it hasn't gone anywhere yet. I did however continue to give the cartridge some rigorous field trials.
On one of my first post Pheasant season trips around the farm on the quad I disturbed a Roe Doe stood alone on one of the crop field. She stood still and looked at me.
A quick mental check (yup still in season) and I killed the quad, slid off and promptly killed the Doe.
For those that dont know Roe Does tend to be pregnant at the end of their hunting season, this one was an exception meaning I had shot a yearling or she was barren. Only looking inside would reveal.

As it happened she was a yearling, not pregnant and had been forced away from the family group to start out on her own. The clip below is footage from the farm, its the same field but at an earlier time and maybe is even the doe that I shot.
The doe on the stubble
 Quite an exit wound

Cold enough to butcher outdoors


Back to the house and a quick look inside to see if we can see the entry and exit wound
The damage is fairly clear




All in all a bit gory but informative none the less, no recovered bullets as yet, I suspect that will happen eventually.
A little later on in the year I had the opportunity to stalk a buck. I finished my night shift early enough to be on the farm at dawn. I parked up and went for an armed ramble;
This was a magnificent looking Buck. I had followed him for about half a mile when something spooked him, he darted off about 200 yards but luckily stopped to see what was behind him. Fatally for him I was using a gatepost as a rest and I had almost given up, in fact I think I had consciously given up when the deer presented enough of a target area for my subconscious brain to make my trigger finger work. The shot was as almost as much a surprise for me as it was him. Down he went.
The subsequent investigation and hanging in the chiller revealed him to be a good quality buck that I had taken whilst quartering away, the shot entering the heart and lungs from behind the left shoulder and exiting cleanly through the lower throat;
The shot Buck
The salute

The Buck looked excellent and was hung for a week in the chiller before butchering, a mature Buck just starting to go back. I posted some picks online and was advised to get the head scored.
 This was him boiled and dried out, I haven't attempted to stain the antlers or bleach the skull and I also have the lower jaw too. He certainly looked impressive and a good buck to take after his career of fathering was possibly coming to an end.
This was the clincher so at the next Game Fair I resolved to get him measured proffessionally
It was worth it indeed
I spent the week with a real grin across my kyke!
I have been out and taken more since, some good cull bucks with switch antlers but thats for another day!





4 comments:

  1. Obviously no bullet break-up or mangling the meat. I'm pursuing 140gr GSC drive-band bullets and H4350 powder combo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest there was little resistance offered by the ribs, ideally the bullet stays intact and in the target but a good exit wound is hard to beat! Best of all rule on a heart and lung target is minimal meat damage with maximum chance of a kill.

      Delete
  2. Entering my 1st phase of converting a P17 Winchester 30-06 to 280 British. Buying a 7mm bbl is not outrageous, yet, calculating the ideal twist not a major prob, but chambering reamer is the one bugbear. The P17 came with a fine stock made by BSA in its heyday and worth keeping as the final iteration. Oh well how to blow more pension money!!

    ReplyDelete

The search for the lost trail of British ammunition development continues.

 We haven't been too busy since the last round of testing loads last summer. I have however not been completely idle. My brain is functi...