Monday 20 May 2019

So the drive to do some field testing became too much to resist

In fact it was a happy coincidence that a friend was having his 50th birthday that year and instead of a boring present I offered to buy a weekend Muntjac Stalking up on the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk Borders.
I expect most of you know the Muntjac, for those who dont its a small elusive, aggressive dog sized deer that barks alarm calls, is territorially aggressive and a bit of a bugger to stalk. The does if not with fawn at heel are likely to be pregnant and the bucks sport short antlers and sharp tusks. They breed like rabbits, within 6 weeks of giving birth a doe will be fertile again and likely to breed

The only rule is not to shoot those with a fawn at heel and shoot everything else, this means year round attempting to exterminate both sexes.
I booked the weekend with a very nice stalking guide and provided Rob (who shoots left handed) a left handed Tikka T3 in .243, mounted with a Doctor Optic 8x56 and a B&T sound moderator.
We rocked up and met the guide who took us to a field he has for zeroing. Rob hadn't fired this rig before so I proved my rifle was on, the guide was very interested being a 7mm 08 man himself and Rob proved to the guides satisfaction that he could hold a good central group.
After that we headed off onto some stubble fields with woodland on both sides. I was put into a High Seat and briefed. The Guide took Rob off with him.

The foliage was fairly thick being September and I could only see about 40 yards which was enough. After about an hour or so I spied a doe crossing the path into a small clearing. I waited and settled my heart as much as I could (as if, it was pounding blood in my ears I was so excited) and tried as hard as I could to take a clean shot;
The video clips above should give a good view of how overgrown the view was.
The doe dropped to the shot. I sat and tried my best to wait the 15 minutes recommended but excitement and the thought that the hot day would spoil the carcase meant I probably waited long enough to reload before clambering down, at least I'm honest about this.
The doe was down and dead, perfect entry wound but the bullet deflected and exited through the spleen, it didn't spoil the meat fortunately but came close. A note to make on future deer I thought.
The video explains the load used, a 120 grain bullet. 
I returned with the do to the high seat and turned to see a Buck cross the path/clearing, climbing the high seat showed that he was further away and out of sight, ah well never mind.
I waited until it was too dark to see in the wood and as instructed walked out with my kill to the RV, an electric supply pylon base where the Guide had kindly left me his quad sticks. Now I dont usually use sticks, bipods are enough of a hindrance so I sat down on the stubble in still shootable light quite contented with my afternoon and it grew dimmer. Dusk was falling and I looked across the field I saw movement.
I leapt to my feet, grabbed the sticks and lined up on the Muntjac hoping it was the buck I hadn't been able to get earlier.
I guessed the distance to be over 150 yards but less than 300 yards and also made a snap call on the light, if I could see him clearly and the cross hairs then I would take the shot.
I did and he flipped over and died. I forget in my excitement to pace out the distance and decided to do it on the way back. The round (another 120 grain) had entered the buck (yes it was a buck and in my mind that buck) in the right shoulder smashing it and taking out the heart.
I paced it back and it was a 255 paces back to the firing point. I make that to be close to 240 yards using my old army taught method.


They make a lovely couple here together, I gralloched and looked up to see Rob and the Guide driving over. It seems they were only in the next field and apparently my shots had spooked the deer Rob was lining up on, how to deflate my joy in one easy go!

The next morning we left the B&B after what only seemed like 3 hours sleep and definitely no breakfast.
This time I was dropped off near a high seat overlooking a field of stubble and Rob was driven about 5 miles away!
It was a spectacular morning, I could see nature waking up around me and my limited by mist view was an expanding horizon by the minute.
The field edge was only about 150 yards away, that meant anything in view was within point blank range as confirmed by the antics of the night before.
So the light came up, a Buck wandered out and started to look for his breakfast on the stubble and I gave him the good news
 A great entry wound on the shoulder and a clean exit wound;
As I was sat there resisting the temptation to start the gralloch another buck walked over and sniffed this chap, sadly buck fever got the better of me and I missed just underneath 
A very interesting specimen indeed, a happy teddy bear was I
The proof of the pudding in this case is the boiling down of the head!


He and his fellow Muntjac certainly tasted really nice. Robs dear did you ask?
Well sadly he saw plenty but nothing presenting a shootable deer all weekend. Sorry Rob and thanks to the Suburban Bushwhacker for the recommendation https://suburbanbushwacker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

The search for the lost trail of British ammunition development continues.

 We haven't been too busy since the last round of testing loads last summer. I have however not been completely idle. My brain is functi...