Saturday 9 July 2022

At last an update from Paul

 

So, the above rifle was purchased by myself back in 2016. After I got it back home my life became hectic with the arrival of a new daughter. Then, the packing up a house for a move to France. So I never got the chance to re-size brass as you can not buy .280 British brass cases. So much to my annoyance I was not able to shot it before leaving England. The plan was then to take it to France (a country with a great shooting culture). However the wifes employers had other ideas, seeing as they rented our accommodation, they banned my keeping a firearm in the house.


So I was forced to leave them in the uk with my great friend and RFD, Tim. Fast forward from 2016 to 2022.


I was able to make twenty rnds at a friends house using his press and scales, mine are again packed as we are off again with the wifes’ job. Same employer as before so no chance of taking anything shooting related with me.


I decided on loading the rnds with CFE223 with a 139gr Sierra matchking projectile. The amount of powder varied between 36.5 to 38grn. I used an original .280 Brit for the col so I didn’t record the col. I was unable to record the speed as my chronograph is located in another location.


My rifle break in procedure is very simple, clean the barrel then just shoot. I fired 4x5rnd grps. The following pics show these group. 


Pic 1

First five are lower left, second five are on the black.



Pic 2

Third grp



Pic3

Final grp unfortunately blew the patch off the second 5rnd grp, so it is essentially a 2x5 rnd grps.


Hopefully with the better weather  the other rifles will be tested and reported on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The search for the lost trail of British ammunition development continues.

 We haven't been too busy since the last round of testing loads last summer. I have however not been completely idle. My brain is functi...